Thursday, June 9, 2011

Trampier on Tékumel


There are times when it's quite nice to stand corrected.

Jeff Dee (of whom you will hear more from later today or tomorrow when I post our interview) pointed out to me earlier that the illustration labeled Sutherland from yesterday's post is in fact from the elusive David A. Trampier, a TSR staff artist of the time who's not commonly thought of having contributing to Tékumel work...well at least by me.

Since the TSR-issued mini rules Legions of the Petal Throne lacked art credits and was mostly illustrated by the author, David Sutherland, I had stupidly assumed he was the hand behind that piece. Stupidly because you can, of course, see the rather prominent “Tramp stamp” right there on the corner. (And you wonder why the real-world print media has been in decline.)

What an oversight, since Trampier serves up some of the best images in that booklet now that I notice them. I scanned a few of the pieces to give you the flavor. (The top one reappeared in later years alongside Mark Pettigrew's interesting military mini-game “Marching with The Ever Glorious”.)

Learn something everyday, as my grand dad would often mutter when catching a mistake. 




1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's always a treat to discover some Trampier pictures that I've never seen before. Thanks for posting these! :)

    ReplyDelete